Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Starting to Feel Better

Since my last post I have had ups and downs as far as I feel. I felt like I was beginning to get over the chemo on Thursday, but then on Friday I got like a second wind of it or something. I felt worse on Saturday, and really bad on Sunday, especially after church. When I woke up I felt a bit better than Saturday so I decided to go to church since I haven't gone in 2 weeks. Big Mistake! Church was like a workout. I didn't realize how tired I really was until I had to stand for a few minutes. Standing, kneeling, and sitting...a workout, that's sad for me. The standing parts of mass were killing me.  My heart was racing like I ran sprints during those parts. When I got home I slept on the couch for hours, and went to bed early too(7:00). On these bad days, the only thing that was making me feel crappy was the fatigue; nothing else. But it was so intense. Sleeping, and resting didn't seem to even help much.

Fortunately for me I started feeling a little better today. I still took my naps, but I didn't feel overwhelmingly tired. Today I finally feel like myself, and I have much more energy. Took long enough! My body needs to start working better, its slacking! It'll get a pretty good break after next week's chemo. Like 6-8 weeks from the poison, but I'm getting surgery in that time so it's not completely resting I guess. I'm kind of afraid of going in for my treatment next week because the last time I got the B treatment I threw up on the last day. I really don't want that to happen again. It's from the one pre-chemo drug. The side effect is a bad taste in the mouth, and the taste is the worst thing ever! I guarantee there is nothing in the whole world that tastes worse than the medication. What's really weird about it is that you get it through the iv so its not actually in your mouth.


Recently I was asked by the Sarcoma Foundation of America to share my story on their blog. It was posted a few days ago. You can check it out at http://curesarcomablog.org. I'm glad that I was asked to do this because I really want to help people that are suffering from sarcoma get through it with my story.

My uncle set up a fundraiser for sarcoma research. It's called Novembeards! Check it out! http://www.crowdrise.com/NovembeardsForMike. Research is very important for pushing treatment for cancer forward. There are some really interesting studies being done on sarcoma, especially Ewing's sarcoma, and these studies wouldn't be possible without donations and grants. I hope my Aunt Diane can deal with a grizzly bear for this month. 

Lastly, there is going to be a benefit for me at Birchwood Rehab and Nursing Center on Friday November 15th from 10 am to 4 pm. This is where my mom works. It is located in Nanticoke if you would like to go. There is a lot of basket raffles and food for takeout will be available. I won't be able to make it because I will be in Philly for chemo but my brothers and my dad will be there selling the bracelets. I am very grateful for their support.

Keep all the children battling cancer in your prayers. Especially Matt, Julie, and Maya, who is getting her surgery on Friday for Ewing's sarcoma.



2 comments:

  1. Mike,
    I just read your story on Cure Sarcoma website. Sending positivity and warrior vibes your way from the Florida Keys!

    Hugs and strength!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete