Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Cycle 2 Complete

I can't believe I'm already two cycles into treatment! When I look back on these past two months, it seems like the time has really gone fast. Last week didn't seem much more difficult than the first time that I got the B treatment. This time I listened to my body much better and went into bed around 7 every night. I also took ativan at the end of my treatment(like 30 minutes before I left) for nausea, and to help with sleep. It helped tremendously because the car ride home was probably the most difficult part of the B treatment. I would feel so sick, but it would get better when I would get home. But with taking Ativan, I was in and out of sleeping for the ride home, and I was much more comfortable. It was good that I didn't have to get Lasix this week because that would have sucked. The nurses said that I have good kidneys cause I pee like every 10-15 minutes when I get my treatment. I still get a little swelled up, but my kidneys do a really good job of getting the drugs out. They take my weight every morning, and I didn't really have my weight fluctuate too much, but some people can gain as much as 10 pounds in a single day due to fluid retention.

On Monday Joey went to the clinic to see me get treatment. It was nice that he had a day off from school, and he chose to be with me to watch me get my treatment. Joey being there helped the day go much faster for me.

This week was also the first time that I got to meet a cancer patient who is around my age. Her name is Julie, she is 21, and there all week like me. It was her first week of treatment, and some of her chemo was the same as mine. It was actually kind of funny because we were in competition for the bathroom all week. Seeing someone there who is around my age made me feel better.

Me with my chemo
Right now I feel great. I'm a little winded, and the neuropathy in my fingers is a little worse, but those are my only complaints. Saturday was a sleepathon for me. I was already feeling pretty good yesterday! I'm going to have a friend over in a few hours. It won't be for long though. I don't want to push it too hard yet. It should be fun, I haven't seem him in a while. 

I had an appointment with my oncologist on Friday after my chemo, and he was happy with how I'm responding to the treatment. He couldn't even feel Jimmy in there. He was happy with my health, and blood counts too, which is huge. The plan right now is that I'll have surgery 2-3 weeks after my third cycle of chemo, then 2-3 weeks for recovery, and finally 3 cycles of chemo. So that means I'll be done by April, and my birthday present this year will be surgery. That's pretty sweet that I'll be done in April though. I was expecting 4-5 cycles, but since I responded so well its gonna be 3. I can take a summer class this year to get back into school mode now. If you count surgery as a cycle, then that would give me 7 cycles. So if I were to compare my treatment to a week, then I would be on Monday night/Tuesday morning.

The reason why these past two months have gone so fast is because of all of the support I have. Support in the form of get-well cards, having friends over, or encouraging text messages really brighten up my day. This support really helps, and I just want to thank everyone for it. 



Joey went to my appointment on Monday

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mike, I was actually just reading a few of your posts and had a quick question about your blog. I was hoping you could email me back when you get the chance, it would be much appreciated thanks!

    Emmy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike, my 20 year old son also has Ewing's Sarcoma and is a week or so behind you in treatment. His primary tumour is in his L3 in his spine. His treatment is very similar but he spends a week IN the hospital. You can read about him on my blog: www.patriciaspage@wordpress.com Otherwise look up Patricia's Page wordpress. It is very helpful for us to read about you and what you are experiencing. Sorry to meet you under these circumstances.

    ReplyDelete