Saturday, March 6, 2021

One Year Scans

I recently had my routine scans and ...(Drumroll), I am still showing no evidence of disease. Very exciting and relieving news. I am so lucky and fortunate to be in this position. Lets keep the clean scan streak going.

I am still having scans every three months, but will transition to every four months when I'm two years out from completing treatment. The next one is at the end of April.

I still have my port installed. Occasionally I will notice it when exercising or my seatbelt rubbing against, but for the most part it does not cause me any discomfort. It is annoying having to get it flushed every six weeks. It is a simple procedure and only takes like 5 minutes, but it is an extra trip I have to take. We are a bit hesitant to remove the port due to my recent track record. The last thing we want is to remove it and have to reinstall it soon-after. To reduce the chance of this happening the best solution is to wait. During my last appointment we talked about getting it out in the summer, (about two years after completing my most recent radiation treatment). To me getting the port out has more of a symbolic meaning to it. It is more than being done with the inconveniences of having it, it is being one step closer to being done with this disease.

In my last post I mentioned that I purchased a kettlebell to exercise with. Well, I'm still keeping up with it. I've been exercising 5-6 times a week and feel great. A lot of the exercises I perform are dynamic full body movements which are easier on the joints, the most important being my right shoulder. I don't run into the same amount of pain that I have had when doing traditional barbell training which is a huge reason why I have stayed dedicated to this routine. I'm really glad to have found a workout routine that works well with my body. I'll provide some more details about this in a future post, but just know I'm continuing to get stronger every day and that I feel the best I have in years.

I'm still working from home and the plan from leadership is that we will be working from home through labor day. Receiving that news was disappointing to me, but I am making the most out of it such as visiting family. I'm really excited to visit them soon since they just got a puppy. His name is Peanut.

Please stay safe everyone, and as always keep those battling life threatening illnesses in your prayers.

6 comments:

  1. Rock on Mike, Greta news! If it is an option now or at some point in the future when the world starts reopening;g, I might recommend transitioning from free weights to Nautilus or other machine assisted weight training as they are generally much fore forgiving of the joints. T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the input, i'll have to give that a look.

      Delete
  2. HI MIKE. SO GLAD TO READ THIS 'NO CANCER' POST. WITH HOPE, FAITH, BELIEF AND ENCOURAGEMENT AS YOU CONTINUE TO STAY CANCER FREE!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LUCAS, TOO, HAS HAD "NO CANCER SHOWING' SCANS AS OF FEB. 24TH. HE STARTED THIS TRIAL FOR MAINTENANCE: SM-88; https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/record/NCT03778996?term=sm88&draw=2&view=record

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's awesome news Dolly! So how long is the plan to stay on SM-88?

      Delete
  4. HI MIKE, PLEASE HOW ARE YOU DOING?

    ReplyDelete