Tuesday, January 18, 2022

2021 Review

Coming up in a month will be my two year scans. It will really be two years and one month, but who's counting? With that intro I guess I probably already answered your main question. Am I still cancer free? And the answer is a resounding yes

In the year since my last update nothing has really changed on the health front. I got my port taken out in May and that went really well. One thing that was different about getting it removed this time versus the last was that this time they didn't put me under. They just gave me a local anesthetic. Though I was draped and couldn't see what was going on, it was still weird to be fully awake while they were removing this thing from my chest. They gave me status updates on the whole procedure which helped. Overall the whole process was much better this time because it went faster and I was able to drive myself home. I was in and out of the outpatient facility in under two hours. I felt uneasy about getting it removed because it was kind of a safety blanket for me in that I would be ready to go with chemo immediately on a recurrence. But at the same time I'm very glad to not have it anymore as it proves to me that I'm making forward progress again. Keeping it would only hold me back.

I was pretty busy last year. I went to many sporting events like the Penn State vs Indiana football game which surprisingly was my first time on the campus since graduating in 2017. My brother is a student there so I will have more of an excuse to get there more often now. And of course it was great seeing Beaver Stadium full again this fall. I went to a few minor league baseball games. Of the games I went to I really enjoyed going to see the Lehigh Valley Ironpigs. The food and stadium were really nice. They have a bacon theme so they have food options like bacon on a stick, and this sandwich with pulled pork, ham, and bacon. They call it the 3 little pigs and it was delicious. We went to the beach in the summer which was a lot of fun. The water was great, a lot warmer than the last time we went so we were in the ocean a lot. This fall I kept busy with watching college football, managing my fantasy football teams, and went to see some comedy shows.

I've been sticking to the kettlebell exercises and they have worked great for me. I've kept on schedule and haven't had any injuries or setbacks which is better than anything I've really tried post arm surgery. I get decent cardio from it, but in the late summer and fall I went to the park once or twice a week to walk the trails for a little bit extra. Being in better physical shape has been a goal of mine since my last recurrence. I believe that the conditioning I was in contributed at least a little bit to how well I tolerated the treatment. God forbid I recur again, but if I do I want my body to be ready for the pounding.

I still have not returned to the office and as of now there is no return to office date. It has been a real disappointment not being able to be in the office, but it did give me ample time to visit family throughout the year. I especially enjoyed getting to be around Peanut as I know he enjoyed my stays also. He is the first dog my family has had and he is the best!


Please stay safe everyone, and as always keep those battling life threatening illnesses in your prayers.

3 comments:

  1. PLEASE, STAY WWELL..HOPE FOR CONTINUED GOOD HEALTH, PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM HAPPY TO READ THIS POST. I HOPE YOU CONTINUE TO FEEL WELL. TAKE CARE. MARY CALLENDER, LUCAS' MOM

    ReplyDelete