Thursday, September 14, 2017

Graduated and Moving Out

Well, its been a year since my last update.  Here's what's happened since then...

College
I finished up my last year of college. I graduated with a degree in Computer Science and a minor in Mathematics. I finished Magna Cum Laude in the College of Engineering (Top 6% of class). I'm very proud of myself. Graduating college was a very distant goal four years ago when I was being pumped with chemotherapy. I even finished with better grades than before cancer. This is because I became even more driven after going through cancer. Also, after going through my treatments and returning to school, my studies became an important outlet for me to escape or at least not think about what had happened. My obsessiveness with my studies definitely helped my grades too. Moving out to Penn State my junior year was the best thing to happen to me psychologically since being diagnosed. My mood and energy improved a lot. Graduating college means so much more to me than just receiving a diploma. To me it means that despite the major slowdown in my life, I still made and can continue to make forward progress, passing major life milestones one at a time. So to sum it up, college has played a very important role in my life these past few years. I will miss it. There is no place like Penn State. We Are!




Summer
This summer was mostly about getting ready for my move out. For fun, we went to a few baseball games. The weather wasn't the best so there wasn't much pool time, by far the least since we have had a pool. 

This was the first year I really felt ready to lift weights since cancer. I stayed dedicated to lifting all summer and made great improvement. I had to make adjustments to the workout I used to do because of pain in my arm. For example, exercises above the shoulder, like military press, and incline bench press don't work for me due to pain. That metal on muscle grinding pain isn't tolerable. I can still work those muscles, but I just have to perform alternate exercises. Besides that I am able to perform mostly everything else. When I started I was only able to bench 65 lbs 8 times and couldn't do a pushup! I was stronger in 8th grade. By the end of the summer I was benching 115 lbs 8 times and could do over 10 pushups. It was fun lifting weights with my dad for the last time before I leave.

One other thing that's new about me is I just shave my head bald now. Using an electric razor every week was too much work, and the razor was already having issues. I bought myself a Headblade and it's really quick and easy to use. If you shave your head I definitely recommend it. I got the moto which is the newest model.




My New Home
I will be starting my career in the city of Richmond, Virginia as a Software Engineer at Capital One next week. I moved into my apartment last week, and so far I love it down here. I knew when I visited to interview that this was the area for me. The weather is great. Mild winters, and hot summers. Everything I need is within close proximity to my apartment. Work is a 15 minute drive. Any store you can think of is less than 3 miles away. The Short Pump Town Center is just a 5 minute drive away, which is the nicest shopping center I've ever seen. Everyone I have dealt with is so kind and the cost of living is similar to home.

Going on a big shopping spree at Ikea was the best. I also enjoyed putting together the furniture, except for the bed which was surprisingly the most difficult piece of furniture to put together. My dad was a huge help in putting the furniture together. Moving everything upstairs into my apartment was a challenge, but the weightlifting over the summer really helped along with my family being there. For the first time in years I didn't feel useless when moving big stuff around.

I think my setup is pretty nice. All of the furniture is new, but I didn't break the bank. Ikea, Christmas Tree Shop, and Ashley Furniture (for the couch) were the main places I purchased my items from. 

I'm going to miss my family, but they're only a phone call away. I live about 6 hours away so a weekend trip home isn't out of the question, especially considering that I get all of the federal holidays off.



I want to thank all of the teachers, and professors I have had throughout the years. Your instruction has inspired me to get to where I am today, and will guide me in achieving my future goals.

I also want to thank my family for supporting and believing in me every step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment