Monday, July 28, 2014

Surgery Tomorrow

I'm in Philadelphia right now sitting poolside at a hotel. Just a few hours ago I had an x-ray on my arm. The radiologist thought there was a little bit of growth, but my doctor doesn't believe there was any at all. There was a chance that I wouldn't have surgery, but at the last appointment I was told that it would take a miracle for this procedure to not be necessary. Whether there was any growth or not, I need to have this surgery because the longer that this isn't fused the more of a risk I will run for the hardware failing. With school coming up soon, this is the best thing for me to do.

The surgery is going to happen tomorrow. The procedure is pretty much a toned down surgery from December. I will have my left hip opened up in which they will scrape my hip for bone cells, open up my arm, and put those bone scrapings in the gaps between the cadaver and my humerus bone fragments. The procedure can take anywhere from a little over an hour to over two hours depending on how easy it is to get in my arm. The incision is going to be longer than I expected. She believes that most of the previous incision will be opened again. My surgery will be at 11:00 am and I'll be staying the night. Most of the same risks apply to this surgery as the last one, and the recovery time will be similar as well. She said that if there is anything questionable in my arm; it will be sent to pathology for study(Lets hope there is none of that tomorrow). If this doesn't work there are other options so this is not the end. I was happy to hear that since I was putting a lot of pressure on this surgery's success. There's not really much more to say. Keep me in your prayers tomorrow for the surgery to go as planned. Please pray for no nerve damage from the procedure(I was very fortunate to not have any last time), and no sickness from the anesthesia, or at least minimal sickness please!(I was very sick last time from it).

1 comment: