Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Wing King!

Yes, I'm going to dedicate this blog post to chicken wings, but I'm also going to mention some things that I failed to mention in earlier posts. I love chicken wings, and with my cancer treatment I had to limit the amount of spicy stuff because of mouth sores. But I didn't hold back yesterday, with this big break my mouth is completely healed now. I spent like 5 minutes the other day just feeling around in my mouth with my tongue because I have no life. But seriously, with the chemo, my gums and other parts in my mouth were swollen limiting the movement of my tongue. It was really annoying, but I got used to it. But back to the wings....my mouth isn't even sore today after all of the wings I ate yesterday.

Some background on this place. Back in July, actually about two weeks before I found out I had a parasite in my body who would be later called Jimmy, my aunt Diane, and Uncle Paul told me about this awesome restaurant in Stroudsburg called Big Daddy's. They told me about they're awesome chicken wings that they offer on Mondays and Thursdays when the Wing King is there to cook them. Now these are no ordinary chicken wings let me tell you. They have some pretty crazy flavors like Twix, and Jolly Rancher. We made a plan to go out when we got back from vacation, but then....well you know already what happens next. I get back from vacation, and all Hell breaks loose. I get diagnosed with cancer, and now I'm sitting here writing a blog about it. I didn't even think about Big Daddy's until I started getting a craving for spicy food midway through chemo. So I made a bucket-list of things to do during this break from chemo while my body feels pretty well. I completed mostly everything on the list already. The things on the list are to go to Banko's, and Big Daddy's to eat. Hang out with my friends, and lastly to see one of Joey's basketball games. The last one is going to have to wait until after surgery because the season starts after December 10th. Can't wait to see him play in the green and gold!

So at the restaurant yesterday we ordered 116 wings in total. We had two different orders. I ordered Jolly Rancher, PB & J, Twix, Garlic Ranch, The Kings Hot, and Horse Radish. My uncle ordered Pina Colada, Raspberry, Garlic Parmesan, and 3 Mile Island(really hot). Yeah, really crazy combination here. The wings were .50 a piece which isn't bad for gourmet wings. If your skeptical at all about these wings tasting like what they're named... don't be. Like the Twix wing has chocolate on it, and the PB & J has peanut butter on it, and they both taste amazing. My favorites were the Twix, PB & J, and Horse Radish. The horse radish was just a wild card when I ordered it, and I was surprised by how much I liked it. The 3 mile island wings were probably the hottest food I ever ate, and there is still one level up from those at Big Daddy's. I foolishly ate two of them, and my uncle Paul ate 4. I'm trying the Hell's fire next time! We'll see how that goes since the 3 mile island put me into a frenzy. It was all worth it though. It was such a fun night out. Thanks Uncle Paul, and Aunt Diane!

The Crew



So what did I do today. Just chilled mainly. The only exciting thing I did today was play basketball with Joey. I beat him 7-6, and there was no holding back on his end. It was so funny because I beat him on a hook-shot and he was so mad. Still can't beat your big bro Joey. Not even cancer can stop me from beating you hahaha. You might be surprised that I'd have the energy to do something as intense as basketball right now, but I'm not. I was actually surprised how quickly I got tired in the game because I felt so good before we started. It was fun since the last time I picked up a basketball was when I talked about it in my blog back in the beginning.


Wow! This is a pretty long post isn't it. I guess its because I love food so much. Which reminds me to write about my weight gain. Most people when they go through chemo treatment worry about losing too much weight. Not me! I gained 13 lbs! Pretty ridiculous stuff considering I have been the same weight since the 10th grade. Alright I'm done. I better stop before I get on the topic of food again.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mike, it is good to hear that you have an appetite and gained weight. My son stopped eating and will have a feeding tube put in next week. I also appreciate you describing how your mouth feels or the fatigue, because Mathew is intellectually challenged and although he is 20, he is more like a 9 year old in describing his symptoms. He has (had?) an 8 cm tumour in his spine, the L3 ~ Ewings Sarcoma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear about your son, but remember that the feeding tube isn't a permanent thing. My mom is a nurse, and she says that just like the chemo, there both temporary. In the end these are all of the things that'll get your son to being cancer free.

      I'm glad I'm helping you understand what Mathew is going through.

      Take care,
      Mike



      Delete